Saturday, July 2, 2011

Big Happenings Or Hard Choices

Almost a year of no blogging and I'm sure all our fans have abandoned us. Since my last update, we have had a Gotcha Day a move and a Birthday. Because Aubrey had her third birthday she aged out of ECI (Early Childhood Invervention). Her speech was still delayed so she qualified for public preschool. How strange it was to see that little body climb the mountanous stairs of the school bus. Her speech has increased tremendously but she still drops a lot of consonants. I was concerned about her hearing so off we went to the ENT. In true Aubrey fashion, that turned into a hospital visit. The doctor was unable to clean her ears without sedation because her ear canals like the rest of her were just too darn small. Thankfully, the end result was that her hearing is fine.

When we accepted Aubrey's referral, we knew that we had many challenges ahead of us. Most of her serious health concerns were handled in Korea and we have come to find that they did a fabulous job. In February of last year we were left with a "let's wait and see" when it came to dealing with her left leg. I wasn't happy with that and it has weighed heavily on me since. All of that changed on June 27th. We drove an hour and a half to see Dr. Camp at the Children's Bone and Spine Center in Las Vegas. As soon as he looked at her foot, he knew that his job was to sell us on the benefits of a Symes amputation. I was sold before the words came out of his mouth and to my surprise, so was Jeremy. Daddy was ready!

On July 18th, we will see Dr. Camp again to ask any questions we might have and go over what will happen. At 6:00am on July 20ith Aubrey will be admitted to Sunrise Hospital in Vegas for the procedure. Basicly , what they will be doing is removing the left foot through what would be the ankle joint. The reason they go through the joint is to stop the growth there. The tibia will continue to grow but she won't end up with any spurs or anything on the stump. They will also take what would be the heel pad and wrap it over the end of the bone. This will give her more stability. She will be in a cast for 6 to 12 weeks dependent on her healing and she will be fitted for her prosthesis in 3 to 6 months. We are trying to prepare her by telling her that the doctor is going to take off her little foot and she will get a pretty new foot that will look like her right foot. It is going to be a tough road but we will get through it and she will start to function much more like a 3 1/2 year old. I ordered the materials to make a mold of her little foot so that she can always have a connection to it and she will be able to see what it looked like when she gets older. I will try to post pictures and I will post updates when she has her surgery. Beyond that, she is back to school for another year of per-k on August 15th.

No comments: